Social Interpretation: Which phone stays? YOU DECIDE!
We’re starting to really get into the design of phase-1 of Social Interpretation, and this will the first of a few updates on various aspects of design for the in-gallery technology and signage.
As you may have seen (here, here, here, here and, um, here) we’re in the middle of wresting with how (or if) to best use QR Codes to facilitate physical/digital interaction. We already know from our research that part of this is to really make clear, in a small space, what the code is and how to use it. Part of that is placement, part is effective written prompt – being looked at by Claire Ross, and part is visual prompting. We’re finding out that visitors are likely to respond well to a clear phone graphic, to indicate what to use the code with. But what phone?
You see, I have an aversion to using the iPhone as an icon. It’s recognisable, and definitely has a cultural recognition this definitely helps as far as being an icon is concerned.
But, I worry that it does three things:
- Alienate non iPhone users and imply that it’s an iPhone-only function
- Contribute to the public perception that Smartphone = iPhone. It doesn’t (it’s denying the antecedent)
- Contribute to the public perception that you need an Apple device to take advantage of basic smartphone functions
It’s possible that none of these matter – or that I’m just worrying about nothing. And we’ll be evaluating our choice anyway to see how people react.
But what do you think?
Digital R&D Fund Themes
- That's it!! Our twitter is officially closed, but you can still follow us @ace_national, @nesta_uk and @ahrcpress for #artsdigital chat! 2 months ago
- Our #toolkit for #digital projects is still available here buff.ly/2kN7Q2T #artsdigital https://t.co/NkOq3SaO7m 2 months ago
- RT @Creative_Fed: Creatives, learn to protect your IP in Manchester on Thursday: creativeindustriesfederation.com/events/creativ… #FedIP @AllianceIP https://t.co/aC… 2 months ago
- RT @ace_national: Our crowdfunding pilot is now open to small organisations and individuals. See if your project could be eligible: https:/… 2 months ago
- RT @leesmatthews: Diary marker: #artsdigital showcase from @nesta_uk & @Arts_Wales_ in March. Register here: arts.wales/105592?utm_sou… 2 months ago